- You will get a full refund without any cancellation fees if you have an Award ticket.
- American Airlines follows the 24-hour cancellation rule. You can cancel your tickets within 24 hours without any penalty.
- In case an immediate family member dies, you can apply for a full refund.
Nearly all of us know about American Airlines. American Airlines is one of the oldest Airlines in existence. American Airlines’ history is almost 95 years old.
American Airlines’ cancellation and refund policy is pretty straightforward too. In the case of ticket cancellation, we must know how much money will be deducted or refunded.
To know more about American Airlines’ cancellation and refund policy, you must read this article. Here we have discussed different rules and regulations regarding refunds.
Table of Contents
What is the American Airlines Cancellation policy?
American Airlines’ cancellation and refund policy clearly state that you will get your refund if you have refundable tickets. There are four types of American Airlines tickets that you can buy.
American Airlines also charge cancellation fees if you cancel your ticket (except the Basic economy ticket, which cannot be canceled). The cancellation charge varies according to the situation.
You can always cancel your ticket within 24 hours after reservation, and in that case, you need not pay anything.
There are four types of tickets that American Airlines offers.
A. Basic Economy ticket
These are the most affordable tickets offered by American Airlines. You cannot cancel these tickets. You will not get any refund on these types of tickets.
B. Non-Refundable Tickets
On this type of ticket, you will not get any refund. However, you can cancel these tickets. You need to pay the cancellation amount, which is $200 for a domestic flight and $750 for an international flight.
In these types of tickets, you will get your remaining amount back in the form of vouchers and credits, which you can use on your future flight. There is no direct form of payment refund back to you.
C. Refundable Ticket
These are the best type of tickets to have. These refundable tickets are hassle-free, and you can quickly get your refund if you cancel them—your refund is in the original form of payment.
However, you may need to pay a cancellation charge if you cancel your tickets.
D. Award Ticket
In the case of award tickets, American airlines have removed all the cancellation and redeposit fees from it. This means you don’t need to pay any cancellation fees on it.
Additionally, American Airlines has a 24-hour cancellation policy. If you cancel your ticket within twenty-four hours of booking, you will get a full refund without any deduction. It doesn’t matter which type of ticket you have.
American Airlines also has a cancellation fee waiver scheme. It will apply in the below-mentioned conditions:
- Your American Airlines flight is within the United States.
- Your flight is to/from the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, or Central America.
- Your flight start from the United States (including international flight)
This fee waiver does not apply to a Basic Economy ticket.
What Is the American Airlines Refund Policy?
According to the American Airlines cancellation and refund policy, the passenger is entitled to a full refund in the following conditions:
- In case you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of reservation. However, the time between cancellation and flight should be a minimum of two days. This rule is especially beneficial for basic economy class tickets.
- In case American Airlines cancels your booking and the new flight schedule doesn’t suit you.
- Due to some schedule change conditions, the delay is more than a minimum of 4 hours.
- In case your ticket is refundable.
- Your non-stop flight is rebooked by the airline to an itinerary with a flight connection.
- In case an immediate family member or co-passenger is critically ill or dies.
- In case you receive a sudden military deployment order.
- You have an Award ticket.
- In case of some extraordinary event due to which your flight gets canceled. It’s at the sole discretion of the airline, though.
In case of credits received after canceling the non-refundable tickets, you must use those points within one year after canceling the ticket.
It will take a few days before you get your refund back into your account.
Related Post:- KLM Cancellation Policy
|Reason of Cancellation||Will you get Refund|
|You missed the flight||No|
|In case an immediate family member dies||Yes|
|In case you have a non-refundable ticket||No|
|In case you have Award and refundable Ticket||Yes|
|In case the flight gets canceled||Yes|
|In case you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of reservation||Yes|
How to cancel American Airlines Booking?
To cancel your American Airlines booking, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the Ameican airline website and head towards the Manage trip/Check-in section.
- Enter your name and ticket confirmation number.
- Press the “Find trip” button.
- Select the specific flight you want to cancel and press the cancel option.
- Confirm your selection.
- After cancellation, you will get the mail.
- To cancel your award ticket, you need to log into your account and enter the required information.
- You can then apply to get a refund. Just fill out the information and submit it.
|Company Name||American Airlines|
|Is cancellation possible?||Yes|
|In which case is a full refund possible?||24 hours cancellation policy, Award Ticket and others|
|Cancellation charge||Depends on different factors|
|24 hours booking cancellation||Yes|
Himadri is a travel enthusiast who loves exploring different parts of the world. Over the course of five years, I have been to numerous places, experienced different means of transportation, and stayed at different properties. The details on return and refund policies of different brands provided are based on first-hand experience to help everyone experience a hassle-free booking.